Campaign Finance Reform
Politicians in Washington have failed the hard-working American people through their continued focus on policies that benefit corporations, special interests and, too often, themselves. We pay the price. Central New Yorkers are struggling with the rising costs of healthcare and prescription drugs, middle-class families are living paycheck to paycheck, students and families are grappling with soaring vocational and college debt, and seniors are increasingly dependent on Social Security and Medicare for retirement.
Yet career politicians in Washington continue to be re-elected year after year, despite their prioritization of policies that leave the rest of us behind. It defies conventional wisdom until you take a closer look and find that these politicians are receiving millions of dollars in campaign cash courtesy of the same corporations driving these devastating policies. It is a vicious cycle and at the root of this problem is the influence of corporate PAC money in our government.
I’m running for Congress in New York’s 24th District to take on a new mission, to fight for Central New York’s middle class, and I refuse to take a dime from corporations in my campaign. As part of this fight, I refuse to stand by and allow corporate money and special interest influence continue to hurt our community and our middle class. That’s why in Congress I will support:
- A constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United
- Require dark money political groups to disclose their donors, including who funds the ads they run
- A public financing system that provides matching, non-taxpayer funds to small donations so that average citizens can run for office, and not just those with wealthy networks
- A campaign finance system that does not equate corporations to people and allow them to spend millions to outweigh one person’s vote
- A stronger Federal Election Commission that cracks down on campaign finance fraud
- Ethics reform that holds our representatives accountable for their actions and puts the priority back where it should be – serving the American people